The Department of Computer Science was created in 1987 and is one of the largest departments at UPC. It has around 90 full-time faculty and 50 Ph.D. students. The Department is responsible for the education and research in several disciplines related to the foundations of Computing and their applications: Algorithms, Programming, Computer Graphics, Artificial Intelligence, Theory of Computation, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, etc.
The core of the teaching activities is concentrated in the undergraduate and masters programs of the Facultat d’Informàtica de Barcelona, but the department is also teaching at various UPC schools: School of Industrial Engineering of Barcelona, School of Mathematics and Statistics, Technical School of Engineering of Vilanova i la Geltrú, School of Industrial, Aeronautical and Audiovisual Engineering of Terrassa and Barcelona East School of Engineering. The department is coordinating two Ph.D. programs: Computing and Artificial Intelligence.
The research activities of the department are organized in different research groups, covering different disciplines of the Computer Science domain. It has an active presence in the main conferences of the field and an intense participation in public and industrial projects, as well as in the creation of spin-off companies.
- Department chair: Jordi Cortadella
- Secretary: Mario Martín
- Department sub-chair: Jose Luis Balcázar
- Department sub-chair, educational affairs: Javier Vázquez
- Postgraduate comission chair: Isabel Navazo
- Undergraduate comission chair: Carlos Andújar
- Undergraduate responsible at Vilanova i la Geltrú ( ): Josep Maria Merenciano
- Undergraduate responsible at Terrassa schools (Alfredo Vellido – ):
- Undergraduate responsible at the School of Industrial Engineering (Josep Vilaplana ):
- Undergraduate responsible at Besos Campus: Gerard Escudero
- Responsible for computing services (RDlab): Gabriel Verdejo
- Department administration chair: Ana Ibáñez
- Responsible of PhD external reviews and thesis committees: Quim Gabarró