- This event has passed.
PhD in Computing Seminar: Course Prof. Sandro Morasca
September 19, 2018 @ 10:00 am - September 21, 2018 @ 12:00 pm
Next 19-21 September, Professor Sandro Morasca from Università degli Studi dell’Insubria will give the seminar: Design of Empirical Studies and Experiments in Software Engineering.
The seminar is open to any interested person.
The schedule of the course is:
Sept. 19-20 from 10 to 13h
Sept. 21 from 10 to 12h
Room: Omega building, room S-210 (floor -2)
Below there are details of the talk.
Design of Empirical Studies and Experiments in Software Engineering
Experiments and, in general, empirical studies are fundamental tools in Software Engineering for acquiring information about software products, techniques, processes, and methods, like in all other engineering disciplines. Having solid evidence about software products and software processes helps software organizations assess, monitor, control, and improve the quality of their software products and processes on quantitative, objective bases. This contributes to a software development organization’s typical goals, i.e., reduce development effort and time and improve software product and artifact qualities. However, to be effective, empirical studies and experiments need to be carefully designed and carried out.
The course will address both the theoretical and the practical aspects of the design of empirical studies and experiments in Software Engineering, as follows.
- From the theoretical point of view, the course will show how to establish a link between empirical studies and experiments, on the one hand, and organizations’ goals. The several kinds of empirical studies and experiments will be illustrated, along with the specific designs that may be used.
- From the practical point of view, the course will allow attendees to design and simulate the execution of empirical studies and experiments, so as to have some kind of practical, hands-on experience about the theoretical topics of the course.
- Deriving empirical studies and experiments from corporate goals
- Kinds of empirical studies and experiments
- Specific designs for empirical studies and experiments
- Practical design of empirical studies and experiments and their simulated execution
- Discussion about the practical design and execution of empirical studies and experiments
Sandro Morasca is a Professor of Computer Science at the Dipartimento di Scienze Teoriche e Applicate of the Università degli Studi dell’Insubria in Como and Varese, Italy. He was an Associate and Assistant Professor at the Politecnico di Milano in Milano and Como, Italy, and a Faculty Research Assistant and later a Visiting Scientist at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Maryland at College Park. Sandro Morasca has been actively carrying out research in Empirical Software Engineering, Software Quality, Machine Learning, Software Verification, Open Source Software, Web Services, and Specification of Concurrent and Real-time Software Systems, and has published over 30 journal papers and over 90 conference papers. Sandro Morasca has been involved in several national and international projects and has served on the PC of a number of international Software Engineering conferences and on the editorial board of “Empirical Software Engineering: An International Journal,” published by Springer-Verlag.